Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Memorial Day Weekend

I hope everyone enjoyed a long weekend. My question is how many of us actually celebrate this holiday for its true meaning. Being a military wife and daughter I realized at the end of the day we did not take the time to even discuss why the children were of school for the day. I assume the older ones realized it, but this gave me some food for thought. Many of us talk about celebration of other holidays such as the 4th of July, Thanksgiving, Christmas and so forth. I want to take this time to say that without all of the United States Veterans both living and dead sacrificed their lives so that we can sit here today and do whatever we want that is legal. I am proud not only to be an American, but also to be the wife and daughter of a career military person. Please whenever possible take the time to say thank you when you see someone in an uniform, whether it be military, fire or police. These men and women work hard to provide us with the security and freedoms that we have living in the US. Also please teach your children about the special holidays that we have and why they are important. I am going to speak to my children upon returning home from work. The schools teach history it is our responsibility to teach values.

No comments: